WHY SHOULD WE HIRE HBP VERSUS ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPHER?
- Boutique Service. Rather than seeking a large volume of photography projects, I take on one job at a time, and focus completely on your goals. You get our undivided attention, which means you get your images quickly.
- Heirloom Quality Images. Please take a moment to scroll through my recent Portraiture blog posts to review my work. My goal is to provide you with images that your family will treasure for generations.
- Quality Guarantee. Quality photography is meant to be displayed, treasured, and enjoyed for years. The HBP lab will ensure your prints, canvases, metal mounts, and other products are truly breathtaking. If you aren’t completely satisfied with products ordered from the HBP printer, we will repair and replace or refund your purchase.
Please visit my website for portrait pricing. Please contact me for additional details. Special holiday mini session rates are usuually available in October and November.
DO YOU HAVE A STUDIO?
No. I shoot portraits in my clients’ homes, an exclusive mill location, or parks, downtown, etc. I’ll have some ideas if you aren’t sure. Just ask me!
WHAT SHOULD WE WEAR?
What To Do:
- Start with bottoms, and think about neutral tones (gray, denim, black, brown). Mix it up a bit; one person can wear a skirt, one wear pants, and another wear cargoes, etc.
- Choose shoes that are in the same tone for everyone (avoid bright colors that will steal the show, unless they are coordinated carefully).
- For tops, choose a common tone for everyone, and then intermix textures and styles according to individual personalities. For example, everyone can wear shades of brown, with one person in a blazer, one in a sweater, and one in a brown tank with a jean jacket.
- Accessories are an appropriate way to add a coordinated pop of color, and to express individuality. For example, add red to the mix with scarves, earrings, belts, or neckties.
What Not To Do:
- You may want to avoid super bright tones as the main ingredient; for example, sometimes orange shirts make people look, well, orange!
- Likewise, avoid putting one person in a bright tone and everyone else in neutral tones. The bright person will steal all the attention in the final images, making the rest of the family look like the background.
- Patterns, if overused, tend to clash or distract, but there are exceptions. (For example, if one person wears stripes, and the other(s) wear solid colored shirts including the colors of the stripes.)
- Think about your skin tones and hair color. People with black hair may want to avoid black shirts because there will be so little contrast in the final image.
- Too much uniformity. If you choose outfits that look like a uniform, your family will look more like a football team than a family comprised of individual personalities. Allow some self-expression into the mix!
WHAT IS THE SESSION LIKE?
People are usually nervous before a session about what to wear, about their physical imperfections, about whether the children will behave…but let’s all take a deep breath, relax, and have a good time! You are in experienced hands, and you will have beautiful images when we are done. I arrive prior to the session time to study the area and find interesting, unique places to capture your images. Once we get started, I’ll direct you; that’s my job – to make you comfortable and set up gorgeous shots. For parents of young children, sessions can be a little tiring. But rest assured: I will work around feedings, temper tantrums, runny noses, crying spells, or a kid that refuses to smile or look at the camera. I guarantee you will get photos you absolutely love (if not, see next question). Just be yourselves and play together. That goes for the adults, too! HAVE FUN! And stay relaxed and confident. When you feel good, you will look good.
WHAT IF WE AREN’T HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS?
Then, I will re-shoot at no charge.
WILL MY IMAGES BE POSTED ONLINE?
Yes, in a private gallery with a password. You decide who gets to see the gallery and who does not. You may share your password with whomever you choose, or just keep it to yourself.
WILL MY IMAGES BE POSTED PUBLICLY?
Prior to collecting any payment from you, you’ll receive a copy of the model release form. If you choose not to sign it, I’ll refer you to another photographer with no obligation and no hard feelings. I may select 1 or 2 images from your session for my web-based portfolios, write a blog post about your session, use them to promote an auction item, and/or enter a contest, etc. By signing the release, you give me permission to do any of those things, help protect my small business, and helps me grow via marketing. Please don’t hesitate to ask me if you have reservations about how we may use photos from your session, or any questions about the release form.
HOW MANY PROOFS WILL YOU PROVIDE?
HBP proofing is online-only. The amount of proofs varies based on the unique factors and personalities of each creative session, as well as what type of session you booked.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THE IMAGES?
As a boutique service, we provide clients with an email link to a private online gallery as quickly as possible, but take enough time to make sure you are blown away with the final results. Usually, your contract will specify the maximum time you can expect to wait, but that varies according to the type of session you booked.
WHO OWNS THE IMAGES?
I always retain ownership (“copyright”) of all of the images I make. However, you can make prints (“print-release”) if you purchase the high-resolution digital files.
IF I PURCHASE THE HIGH-RESOLUTION FILES WITH PRINT RELEASE, CAN I GIVE THEM TO OTHERS?
This is an important, common, and confusing topic in today’s digital age! The answer is no, but your friends and family are certainly welcome to purchase their own digital files and prints from your online gallery, too! The print release that’s included with your digital files permits you to print the images, but not others. However, you can order as many gift prints for others as you’d like.
If this seems strange, think about a digital photo in the same way you think about other creative content. It’s illegal to burn copies of a music CD or video you bought somewhere and give them away; it’s illegal to sell or give away another architect’s original design, or another songwriter’s lyrics, without their express permission. The same concept applies to a digital photography.
Photos are the intellectual property of their creator, and from the moment the shutter clicks, all of the corresponding rights and protections offered under federal copyright law apply.
IF I BUY THE DIGITAL FILES, CAN I BUY PRINTS FROM ANOTHER PRINTER OR DO I HAVE TO BUY THEM FROM YOUR WEBSITE?
Yes, but I advise against it, for wall- and gallery- sized products in particular. Good photography is only as strong as it’s weakest link. I encourage all clients to purchase print products from me to ensure quality, even if you have a print release. However, for smaller prints, such as those placed into a memory album, I understand that the investment in high-quality printing might not be as important.
I cannot guarantee quality for images printed at other labs, particularly at discount printers (i.e. CVS, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.). In contrast, if for any reason you are dissatisfied with prints ordered from the HBP website, I will gladly replace them at no charge. If you make prints at discount labs, you will save money, but your prints will not look like they do on your computer screen – in most cases, they will be darker, more dull, have less dynamic range (i.e. detail in highlight and shadow areas), or be overly sharpened. This is because low-cost printers don’t color-correct, they have lower-quality color printers (literally, with fewer colors of ink cartridges), and/or they compress the data.
CAN I POST THE DIGITAL PHOTOS ON FACEBOOK?
Yes. We encourage it, actually! But, if you do, please tag Holly Baumann Photography, or give us a credit by listing http://www.hollybaumannphotography.com/ as a caption.
WHAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS THAT DESTROYS ALL OF MY DIGITAL FILES OR PRINTS?
Rest assured: my entire archive is backed up multiple times. If your digital images are destroyed, we can replace them for a small fee that covers our time in doing so. Likewise, if your printed products are damaged or lost, we can assist you in ordering replacements.
I HAVE A QUESTION THAT YOU DIDN’T ANSWER HERE.
Post your question in the comments below, or contact me on my website.