Since Rawley’s nursery is going to be packed up into boxes again next week, I realized I better post camping- and travel- themed nursery ideas, Part 2! We want our little man to love the mountains as much as we do, and have an open mind and desire to see as much of the world as he can. So we created a nursery celebrating the outdoors and travel. Additonally, I tried to use items we already owned as much as possible to save money. I also avoided “babyish” decor so that we can continue using the same items into Rawley’s childhood years – or repurpose them for other rooms in the house.
I was surprised how challenging it was to find products with this theme, so I am hoping that this post will make it a bit easier for others!
- Custom Travel and Mountain Quote Designs: We commissioned these to tie together the nursery colors (orange and brown) and the themes (mountains and travel).
- Vintage National Park Posters: Nathan gave me these for Christmas before Rawley was born, and I had them framed at Michael’s in a faux stainless steel finish to match the stainless steel frames mentioned below.
- Retro Globe: I adore this globe, which I’ve owned for years; I found it at an antique store along Phoenix’s 7th Ave. vintage corridor. The map dates back to the USSR era.
- Antelope Canyon and Swiss Alps Prints: These are from my 35mm and Medium Format film photography portfolio. The Antelope Canyon images are some of my best-selling; Nathan and I honeymooned in Switzerland.
- Alpinist’s Alphabet Poster: Also check out the Backpacker’s version.
- Trail Sign Canvas: Taken in Havasupai Canyon, a lesser-known gem tucked inside the Grand Canyon. The backpack shown is one I used for a decade in all my travels throughout the world.
- Boots Canvas: From our newborn photo session with Rawley by Miracle Photography, Oklahoma City.
- Peapod Travel Beds: Could this miniature tent be any cuter?! We used it in Rawley’s newborn portrait session (see next image), along with the North Face Booties (link below), Nathan’s and my hiking boots, and the baptism blanket Rawley’s great-grandmother made him.
- World Map Bulletin Board: I bought ours at Land of Nod, where it may no longer be available, but I know they are sold elsewhere in various versions. Just look around online. I printed small (2×2 inch) photos on heavy stock photo paper of Nathan and I hiking, biking, and camping around the world, and pinned them to the map. Here is a close-up:
- Other Wall Art: A “Compassion for the World and All Who Inhabit It” print poster hangs in Rawley’s bathroom. I also used Stainless Steel Frames we already had around the house to frame the Antelope Canyon, Swiss Alps, and maternity prints. They are extremely high quality and available in several colors and sizes.
- Books: Find camping, mountain, and travel themed children’s books at retailers like REI. (Note: REI is a great place to create a baby registry!)
- Clothing: Adorable mountain-themed onesies from Mountain Mama and North Face NSE Infant Booties (pictured in the canvas from our newborn session and in Rawley’s newborn portrait shown above).
- Olli & Lime Billie Collection Linens: Great company with modern, unique, unisex designs and excellent customer service. The crib mobile shown above is also from O&L. We can use these linens for a long time since they don’t look like “baby” linens, or with a future child, regardless of whether it may be a boy or a girl.
I hope this helps provide inspiration for your own travel or mountain themed nursery! Happy adventures to you and your babies!