This week, the Oklahoma City SMUG met with Bill Richards of Okie Studios (note: PG-13+ link warning :)) at his new studio in Norman, OK. Our goal this time was to practice using off-camera light, both in studio and on-location. Bill generously lugged gear downtown, right on Main Street, and also arranged for a beautiful model and friend, Katie, to join us. Thank you, Bill, Katie, and Anthony Butler, who also helped out! You were awesome and we all learned a lot!
- White Lightning 1600 watt / 640ws strobe
- Small round dish
- Cactus triggers (Bill doesn’t recommend these)
- Vagabond II Battery pack (Bill recommends the mini – it’s lighter)
Here are a few of the shots I took of Katie on location with my D700 / 24-70mm f/2.8 using Bill’s setup and triggers.
In the studio, we used the following equipment:
- Alien Bee 800 watt / 320ws (main light) with large octo softbox (so large that you can shoot right in front of it, and won’t cast a shadow)
- Alien Bee 400 watt (background light) with honeycomb and barn doors
- Both lights on about 1/2 power
- Cactus triggers
I got one image of Katie using available light in the studio:
Compare the difference using Bill’s lighting setup:
Isn’t she gorgeous? Which is your favorite? Hope to see you at the next SMUG!