I love organizing things. I decided my summer project would be to tackle the pile of boxes in our garage from when I moved in and our wedding gifts, along with duplicate garden tools, stuff that the previous owners left behind…. Anyway, here is the final result:
Turns out you can throw paint away if you let it dry up and harden…so we’ll throw it away eventually, but in the meantime we are literally watching paint dry.
GARAGE MAKEOVER STEPS
1. Break down and recycle about 1 kazillion boxes. This took about 3-4 weeks of overflowing recycle cans to complete. Seriously. It was bad.
2. Unpack boxes we never unpacked; moved some stuff in the house, threw some away.
3. Lay out all garden and work tools; decide which to keep. This required literally laying it all out on the floor and this filled up 2/3 of the garage floor space.
4. About 8 trips to Goodwill resulting from steps 1-4.
5. Measure dimensions for shelving and racks.
6. Spend hours shopping online for the requisite organizational products after assessing how many things we needed to hang, stack, etc. (Note: I’ve added hyperlinks for the products we used if you are interested-see below!)
7. Hire someone to remove hooks and nails, repair damage in the walls, sand, re-paint the entire garage, and assemble the shelving you see on the left – in one day. 100% worth the money.
8. Dust crates, then put camping gear, mountain biking gear, extra household supplies, Christmas decorations, coolers, bug and weed killer, etc. on shelves.
9. Assemble workbench, which my husband rocked! (It took like 4 hours on a Friday night, God bless him).
10. Dust, then add various tool boxes, drill sets, and types of glue to workbench (seriously, we had like 4 types of glue? Not sure why…Maybe this makes sense to the men out there).
11. Hang wall units, such as the one for power tools and ladders shown directly above, and the one for garden tools shown in the one above that, and backpacks, shown below.
That does it. Only took like 3 months of my life… But, now we can actually PARK in the garage! Happy organizing!